We humans seem to be the most adaptive species. We decided to take control of our environment and adapt it to our needs instead of conforming to it. That is why, for the first time in our generation, we feel so out of touch; out of control. This pandemic has thought us so much. Probably, the most important lesson is the re-assimilation of our environment. The one we felt so familiar.
Here are three areas we must master to achieve that.
- Cognitive – You need to re-thing your mental framework. Identify new challenges and opportunities. Most likely, they are dynamically changing, so you need to be flexible enough to recognize when things have shifted to a different place.
- Emotional – We are not alone. Our emotions and those of others may be readjusting. Dealing with grief, resistance, anger, uncertainty requires a higher dose of empathy when facing extraordinary and sudden change. Under normal circumstances, emotions tend to shut down communication. However, emotional flexibility will allow us to effectively connect with others.
- Inclination – When transforming, human beings must remain balanced. Realistic expectations will keep us safe, but when combined with optimism and perseverance, we can move forward. Dreamers walk in circles, but pragmatics just standstill. A determined path and consistent pace will make us thrive when facing unfamiliar circumstances.
But how can we achieve such flexibility, especially when change happens so fast?
Soft skills. We’ve heard that a thousand times. We know we need them. We know the knowledge is out there. But how do we connect the dots? The question is. Are you waiting for someone else to give you the answer or are you ready and flexible enough to stretch and reach out to grab it?
There are multiple ways to do it.
- Look for specialized schools that have already a formal program on adaptive skills. Probably prestigious, showable but most likely costly
- Google it! Lok for all possible resources you can find. They are all out there. Totally chosen by you. Most likely time consuming, just a sample and a gamble on the quality of the resources.
- Find a curation platform where you can select the resources you need for the abilities you are looking for. Most effective. Time-saving, expertly selected, and relevant to the times.
Easier said than done. However, it’s too important to ignore.
I look forward to your questions and comments.